Kieran Trippier has lifted the lid on his Tottenham exit after revealing ‘behind the scenes’ issues prompted his move to Atletico Madrid.
The 28-year-old made a surprise £20 million move to the Spanish club in July following a four-year stay at White Hart Lane. Trippier was Spurs’ first choice right-back last season but was criticised by some supporters for a series of individual errors.
The defender, who came through Manchester City’s academy, has previously remained silent regarding the reasons behind his exit, until now. ‘I think it was time for me to change and move on,’ he told Sky Sports.
‘I don’t necessarily mean that I needed to move on, but things happened behind the scenes at Tottenham, which I don’t really want to go into, but I needed to move on from that.’
Trippier was named in Diego Simeone’s starting XI as Atletico Madrid stunned city rivals Real 7-3 in New Jersey on Friday night and he says his transition to life at his new club has been a smooth one.
‘It’s been a lot easier than expected,’ he added. ‘The lads have been unbelievable with me. Since I’ve been through the door they’ve welcomed me with open arms, the coach as well.
‘Especially those two – they’ve been brilliant with me, Morata and Costa. They’ve been explaining to me what it means to play for Atletico and what it means to the fans.’