You are here
Home > Football > RB Leipzig 3-2 Man-United: Red-Devils dump out of Champions League as Comeback falls short

RB Leipzig 3-2 Man-United: Red-Devils dump out of Champions League as Comeback falls short

RB Leipzig held off a dramatic late fightback from Manchester United at the Red Bull Arena to win 3-2 and qualify for the last 16 of the Champions League at their opponents’ expense.

United won the reverse fixture 5-0 in October and only needed a point on Tuesday to advance from a tight Group H but found themselves two goals down inside 13 minutes.

Justin Kluivert added a third but Bruno Fernandes’ penalty and substitute Paul Pogba’s header 135 seconds later – credited as a Harry Maguire goal – gave the visitors hope.

But last season’s semi-finalists Leipzig held on to move a point above their opponents and progress, with Paris Saint-Germain – whose game with Istanbul Basaksehir was halted due to allegations of racist remarks by the fourth official – also now set to qualify.

But it wasn’t enough for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s men who finish third in their group and will now enter the Europa League round-of-32.

Leipzig were ahead inside 109 seconds – the earliest goal United have conceded in the competition in over eight years – as Marcel Sabitzer’s cross went right the way through for Angelino to drill past returning keeper David de Gea.

United have made a habit of recovering from a goal behind in domestic away matches but they were two down 11 minutes later, Angelino this time turning provider by picking out Haidara at the back post to thump in first time.

Only once before, against Juventus in the semi-finals in 1998-99, had United trailed by two goals earlier in a Champions League game and they were fortunate a third did not follow before half-time.

Emil Forsberg fired wide from a glorious position shortly before Willi Orban had a goal chalked off by VAR, the defender clearly offside when poking the ball over the line after Ibrahima Konate’s header came back off the post.

It took until the 66th minute for United to test opposition keeper Peter Gulacsi for just a second time, with Fernandes’ dipping shot being turned away.

Fernandes went even closer with a free-kick that crashed back off the crossbar, 62 seconds before Kluivert profited from some hesitant Maguire defending to beat De Gea with a clipped finish.

Gulacsi again had to be alert to deny Scott McTominay but Fernandes did find a way past the Hungary keeper from the penalty spot following Konate’s challenge on Mason Greenwood.

Pogba, left out of the line-up a day after his agent reiterated the midfielder wants to leave United, headed the ball in off Maguire to set up a tense finale but there was to be no dramatic equaliser.

Sports freak at your door step

Similar Articles

Leave a Reply