Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood has pulled out of the England squad for this summer’s European Championship in order to ‘fully recover from injury.’
The teenager was named in Gareth Southgate’s provisional 33-man squad ahead of the tournament which begins next week but, ahead of the England manager making an announcement on his final 26-player squad on Tuesday, Greenwood pulled out.
A statement from Manchester United said the decision had been made to allow him to ‘fully recover from an underlying injury.’
In a statement the club said: “Manchester United striker Mason Greenwood has withdrawn from the provisional England Euro 2020 squad, in order to recover fully from an underlying injury that also kept him out of the Under-21 European Championship in March.
“Mason’s club appearances were managed carefully to maintain his availability through the intensive 2020-21 Premier League and Europa League schedules.
“But a further spell of tournament football would not be beneficial and Mason will remain at Manchester United to recuperate and prepare for pre-season training.”
The England manager named a 33-man squad last week which he has to cut down to 26 on June 1. The FA has until the end of Tuesday to submit the final squad to UEFA ahead of the tournament kicking off on Friday, June 11.
With Greenwood withdrawing that means Southgate has to make a decision on six other players who will not make the final cut.
Greenwood’s call-up last week was his first to the senior England squad since he was sent home for breaking Covid-19 rules in Iceland last September.