Cristiano Ronaldo’s spectacular volley against Manchester United in the group stages of the Champions League has been voted as the goal of the tournament.
A list of the top 10 goals was compiled by a group of ‘technical observers’ days after Liverpool lifted the trophy in Madrid.
The group of technical observers featured the likes of former Manchester United manager David Moyes, current England boss Gareth Southgate, Belgium boss Roberto Martinez and Real Madrid legend Raul Gonzalez.
They concluded that Ronaldo’s superb volley was better than Lionel Messi’s free-kick against Liverpool and Sadio Mane’s chipped effort against Bayern Munich, with those strikes ending up in second and third respectively.
Ronaldo has won the award for a second year in a row after his bicycle kick against Juventus for Real Madrid got the nod for the best goal of the tournament last season.
Barcelona players were responsible for five of the goals, with Luis Suarez, Ousmane Dembele, Philippe Coutinho and Ivan Rakitic joining Messi in the top 10.
TOP 10 GOALS OF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 2018-19 CAMPAIGN
1) Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus v Manchester United) – group stage
2) Lionel Messi (Barcelona v Liverpool) – semi-final first leg
3) Sadio Mane (Bayern v Liverpool) – round of 16 second leg
4) Ivan Rakitic (Tottenham v Barcelona) – group stage
5) Leroy Sane (Manchester City v Hoffenheim) – group stage
6) Kylian Mbappe (Manchester United v Paris Saint-Germain) – round of 16 first leg
7) Raheem Sterling (Manchester City v Shakhtar Donetsk) – group stage
8) Ousmane Dembele (Barcelona v Tottenham) – group stage
9) Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona v Manchester United) – quarter-final second leg
10) Luis Suarez (Barcelona v Liverpool) – semi-final first leg
UEFA Technical Observers in Madrid
Thomas Schaaf (Germany), Peter Rudbaek (Denmark), David Moyes (Scotland), Raul Gonzalez (Spain), Packie Bonner (Republic of Ireland), Michael O’Neill (Northern Ireland), Gareth Southgate (England), Roberto Martínez (Spain), Gines Melendez (Spain)