You are here
Home > Boxing > Dillian Whyte WBC interim title stripped off after failed drug test

Dillian Whyte WBC interim title stripped off after failed drug test

Dillian Whyte’s world title dreams hang by a thread after the WBC suspended his position as mandatory challenger pending an investigation into a failed drugs test.

An ‘A’ sample collected by UK Anti-Doping days before his victory over Oscar Rivas earlier this month came back positive. As revealed by Sportsmail, Whyte underwent a hearing in front of a doping panel just hours before the fight at the O2 Arena.

He was cleared to fight, with victory supposedly securing him a shot at the title currently held by Deontay Wilder. But in a statement on Tuesday, the WBC revealed Whyte had been suspended pending an investigation.

It read: ‘An “A” Sample UKAD collected from Mr. Dillian Whyte in relation with his bout against Oscar Rivas yielded an adverse finding. In light of that adverse finding, and pending the outcome of the WBC’s own investigation and adjudicatory process, the WBC is provisionally suspending the WBC’s recognition of Dillian Whyte as WBC Interim World Heavyweight Champion and Mandatory Challenger of the division.

‘The WBC has notified Mr. Whyte and his team of the WBC’s suspension, and that it will afford Mr Whyte the opportunity to present its position to the WBC at an investigative hearing which will take place at a place and time to be announced in the near future. ‘

Throughout its investigation and hearing, the WBC will afford Mr Whyte and his team the opportunity to present any available information and materials, and any exculpatory evidence they might deem appropriate.’

It has been reported that Whyte tested positive for small amounts of epimethandienone and hydroxymethandienone, two metabolites of the banned drug Dianabol.

He could face an eight-year ban from the sport, having served a previous doping ban from 2012 for unknowingly taking an illegal supplement.

Following reports of his failed test, Whyte released his own statement earlier this month, in which he said: ‘I am so disappointed with the rubbish that has been said about me over the last few days.

‘I have lawyers dealing with it and I have been told that I can’t talk about it for good legal reasons.

‘I was cleared to fight and I won that fight fair and square.’

Similar Articles

Top